Follow these expert tips to get the most out of your kitchen remodel
Your kitchen is without a doubt one of the most important rooms in your home. For most greater horseshoe families the kitchen is literally the hub, where everyone gathers up to cook and dine together. You want your kitchen to be as welcoming as possible, while also making sure that you make the best use out of the space available. For some, the major concern is that space is somewhat limited. Naturally you would like to include all the required appliances, kitchen cabinets, enough countertop and storage space, and a dining area. But you will need to carry out proper planning for a feasible layout that also looks aesthetically pleasing. This is just what we shall be discussing. We would like to give you some practical tips which will help you to plan your kitchen layout and design efficiently and effectively. The team at Kitchen & Bath World specializes in helping you create the kitchen of your dreams. We’re right here in Kitchener-Waterloo also serving the Guelph and Cambridge areas. So, let’s get started!
Kitchen layout options:
One-walled kitchen designs –
If your kitchen space is somewhat restricted, you may wish to consider opting for a one-walled kitchen. In this case we will choose the wall with the longest length, and plan the kitchen on it. Even if your kitchen will be laid out on a single wall, you can still have a beautiful and ergonomic kitchen design. The most important consideration is that you arrange the main appliances in an ergonomic setting, by creating what is typically referred to as the working triangle. Generally we recommend placing the oven in the middle, with sufficient countertop space on either side of it. Then, on one side there will be the sink, and on the other side, the refrigerator. Sometimes the latter is placed as a standalone unit on the next wall, but this may not always be possible. In many cases such a kitchen layout is complemented with an island in front of it. If you have sufficient floor space this is a highly recommended option as you would be adding more useful countertop space, and it can also be used as a breakfast table too.
U-shaped kitchen designs –
This option remains one of the most popular. If you have the possibility of going for this option, you will be able to acquire a good amount of space, both inside the cupboards, as well as in terms of countertop space. This is because with a u-shaped kitchen you will be using three walls in all. A u-shaped kitchen improves efficiency, and it is easy to set out your working triangle in such a layout.
L-shaped kitchen designs –
The l-shaped kitchen is also very popular, as it typically offers a fairly good amount of countertop space since it will be laid out on two walls which are at a right angle to each other. This offers an efficient working space as well as storage capabilities.
Kitchen Cabinets and Designs:
- Clean-cut cabinetry – this is a minimalist option that is quite popular especially in single-walled kitchens or for those who prefer a simple and contemporary design. These types of cabinets make rooms feel brighter and bigger.
- Retro cabinets – another quite simplistic design option that appeals to some homeowners who prefer a sleek and polished look.
- Rustic or traditional cabinets – despite the prevalence of modern and contemporary designs that seem to be more efficient, there are still many home owners who prefer a more traditional or rustic look for their kitchen. Such kitchens typically look warmer and have accented features.
Needless to say, the colors that you choose for your kitchen are key. The affect the way your kitchen looks, as well as the kind of atmosphere that is created. You should think of color choices in terms of making your kitchen look as bright and as spacious as possible.
- White cabinets – probably considered as the most straightforward option, but still one of the most popular as it easily helps you achieve a clean and neat look. Your kitchen will look bright and spacious, and so it is an ideal option for smaller kitchen layouts.
- Monochrome – if you want to retain a minimalist design but not opt for an all-white kitchen, then monochrome is a good idea. Black and white complement each other nicely and you will achieve a contemporary appeal that will make your kitchen striking if you leave it in the hands of professionals.
- Crafted wood – for traditional designs or rustic ones, you will probably stick to the natural tone of crafted wood. This will range in terms of depth of color, type of grain and other key elements of natural wood. If your kitchen is smallish, it is best to opt for a lighter colored wood.
- Bright and vibrant colors – for those who like to be a bit more adventurous, there are now a myriad of vibrant color options to choose from for kitchens. From green and blue, to bright orange or yellow, you can literally find them all! It is important to be aware of the need to complement vibrant colors with some neutral colors so as not to go overboard.
- Proper lighting – you need proper lighting in a kitchen, and when designing it you should give some thought to the type of lighting you will be opting for. Besides the general lighting that will offer the overall illumination you will also need to establish areas where you would like to have task lighting, directly above key work areas. Then, you should also give some thought to accent lighting so as to enhance the beauty of your kitchen or highlight key areas.
- Backsplash – installing a backsplash may seem trivial, but it is highly recommended. A backsplash above the countertop and especially above the cook-top will save you a lot of problems in the future.
- Proper ventilation – this is important considering all the smells that waft in your kitchen.
- Appliances – if your kitchen space is limited make sure to opt for compact appliances. The color of the appliances should complement the kitchen cabinets.
- Establish a focal point – this could be anything from a feature that has a bold color and so attracts one’s attention immediately, to statement shelving, or an oven with an interesting design.
- Open shelves – adding some open shelves is recommended as this increases storage space while also giving you an area where you can decorate your kitchen with certain accessories or decorative items that enhance its look.
Kitchen & Bath World is at your disposal to discuss your particular preferences, while taking into account all of the above considerations. Come check us out at 899 Victoria St N, Kitchener, ON N2B 3S4 We will help you design and install a kitchen that will add beauty and value to your home; in addition to being a comfortable living space for your family.